• Lesser-Known Facts About Electrical Fires


  • We’ve written in the past about some basic steps you can take to reduce the risk of an electrical fire in your home. However, you may be unaware that loose power outlets and broken appliances aren’t the only hazards that can result in disaster. There are lesser-known sources of electrical fires, and we recommend you take some further precautions in protecting your home.

    Many electrical fires are caused by arc faults, which occur when electricity veers from its intended path. An arc fault can result in overheating of a circuit, sparking a blaze. Additionally, most modern homes use copper wiring, but many that were built in the 1960’s and 1970’s use aluminum wiring, which can become oxidized and will corrode faster than the copper equivalent.

    There are several things you can do to mitigate these dangers if you discover that they apply to your home.

    • Have a licensed electrician check the wiring in your home and verify that it is copper, not aluminum.
    • Remember that not all copper wiring is created equal. It’s best to consult with your electrician to make sure the wiring in your home is of the appropriate gauge to handle the current passing through it.

    If there is a fire in your home that you believe to be electrical in nature, do not pour water on it. Only use a chemical extinguisher that is rated A-B-C, which means that it can handle fires from combustible, liquid and electrical sources.

    We also recommend that you consult with an Atlanta alarm company to have a residential fire alarm system installed that will alert you, your family and any other occupants to the presence of a fire in time for you to safely escape. Call us at (770) 645-0061 for more information.